Congratulations, University Honors Program Graduates!
The University Honors Program recognizes its spring 2023 graduates.
The staff of the University Honors Program wishes to extend its congratulations to the graduating class of 2023! You’ve worked hard to achieve your goals at NC State and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
A big shout out also goes to Osaretin Asemota for speaking on behalf and in encouragement of her fellow graduates during the Senior Recognition Ceremony for Honors Program graduates on May 3! During this ceremony, Yosi Esquivel Alcantara was recognized for earning the Alex Miller Outstanding Student Award, which recognizes a graduating program participant who has exhibited a significant commitment to the Honors Program and its students — someone who has had a real impact on the program and left it better.
After a record number of faculty mentor nominations, seven graduates were recognized with Blanton Awards for their commitment to the research and scholarship mission of the University Honors Program. The Richard L. Blanton Outstanding Capstone Award is named for the first permanent director of the University Honors Program, who is currently professor of plant and microbial biology and director of graduate programs in plant biology. The award recognizes exceptional work by University Honors Program students and encourages the highest levels of undergraduate scholarship and research at NC State.
This semester’s seven Blanton Award recipients and their capstone projects were:
- Seth Kodikara, “Application of a Yeast Surface Display System to Study Differential Acetylation of Histone Tail Variants”
- Sophie Korenek, “Characterizing the Role of UGDH Phosphorylation by the AGC Kinase RPS6KA2”
- Audrey May Lucas, “A Dozen Years of the Affordable Care Act: An Assessment”
- Kelsey O’Connor, “Student-Athlete Mental Health During Transition of Sport”
- Eelya Sefat, “Development of Biosynthetic Noggin-Coated Corneal Bandage for Treatment of Indolent Corneal Ulceration”
- Elias Zauscher, “Modeling Water Use Changes in a Hybrid Water System with Micro-Trading in Perth, Australia”
- Nicole Zwennes, “Characterization of Surgical Glue Made Using Fibrin Based Nanoparticles”
To graduate from the University Honors Program with Honors Recognition, students admitted to the program prior to the fall 2022 semester have to complete the following criteria:
- One semester of Honors Forum
- Six credit hours of Honors seminars
- Six additional credit hours of approved advanced Honors coursework
- Design and publicly present either a Capstone project (undergraduate research) or a digital portfolio
- Maintain a GPA of 3.25 or higher for the duration of their college career
The University Honors Program awards the following spring 2023 graduates with Honors Recognition:
Lindsey Kate Childs
Yosi Esquivel Alcantara
Ariana Nadaja Frazier
Elizabeth Lauren Gray
Carson Stewart Jenkins
Jaylen Kye Jones
Seth Prasanna Kodikara
Audrey May Lucas
Anvita Charudatta Panajkar
Aashu Ram Parajuli
Mason Alexander Streppa
Nico Swanson Villares
Elisabeth Mary Swinson
Annie Kate Watson