University Housing Recognizes 2023 Spirit of the Village Award Winners
Twelve students were recognized by Living and Learning Villages for embodying the true spirit of their village community.
On Friday, April 14, University Housing’s Living and Learning Villages recognized the 2023 Kay Yow Spirit of the Village Award recipients.
The Kay Yow Spirit of the Village Award, established in 2008, was named in honor of the late Coach Kay Yow, who coined the “Village” moniker. The award is given to student participants in the various village communities who embody the true spirit of the village and exemplify the characteristics, ideals and qualities of that community.
Spirit of the Village Award nominees are students who:
- Are visible and engaged in the village experience
- Have displayed leadership qualities in the community
- Actively seek to give back to the community through service and recruitment events
- Encourage inclusion by making others feel welcomed and part of the community
- Best embody the values and mission of the village.
This year, each village established their own selection process for determining their Spirit of the Village winner. Some winners were chosen based on a vote of their peers while others were selected by village leadership.
The 2023 Kay Yow Spirit of the Village Award Winners are:
- Cryani Houston, Women in Science and Engineering
- Daniel Richter, Albright Entrepreneurs
- Brena Gauland, Students Advocating for Youth
- Louis Meadows II, Black Male Initiative
- Tony Taraboi, Exploratory Studies
- Justice Skinner, Transfer Connections
- Naudia McKoy, Honors
- Youssef Kozman, Global
- Jayda Murray, Arts
- Kayla Brawley, Women of Welch
- Estela Garcia, EcoVillage
- Shire Thompson, Impact Leadership