Skip to main content
Support and Advocacy

Support for Students Affected by the Fire at Village Green Apartments

Students who were displaced or lost property due to Monday’s fire at Village Green Apartments are encouraged to submit a brief application to the Pack Essentials Program for assistance.

The copper wolves at Wolf Plaza near the Free Expression tunnel. Photo by Becky Kirkland.

NC State is providing assistance through the Pack Essentials Program to students who were displaced or lost property due to the fire at nearby Village Green Apartments on Monday, March 22.

Students who were affected by the fire are encouraged to take the following steps:

1) Students needing a place to stay should contact University Housing, which can assign them to a space on campus. Please call 919-515-2440.

2) If you haven’t already opened a case with the American Red Cross, you are encouraged to do so by calling 1-800-REDCROSS (tell them there was a fire at your apartment in Raleigh, N.C., and they will connect you to a case manager. They will be able to provide some monetary assistance as well.

3) If you need additional support, you can submit a Pack Essentials application ( and a student ombuds representative will be in touch to discuss your needs and connect you to resources, including a possible student emergency grant, food resources, a grant to replace your textbooks, etc.

4) If your laptop was damaged, you can request a loaner laptop from NC State Libraries by completing a form at

5) You can receive free food (including fresh fruits and vegetables) at the on-campus food pantry, Feed the Pack. The university has also arranged to get some food for pets as well. Feed the Pack is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from noon-6 p.m. If you need to visit outside of the open hours, please email Mike Giancola ( to arrange a time to meet at the pantry. For more info on Feed the Pack, visit

6) The absence verification officer has sent a notification to faculty members for affected students. When you can do so, keep your professors informed to arrange to make up missed work. 

7) If you want to talk with a counselor about this experience, you can schedule an appointment with the NC State Counseling Center by calling 919-515-2423 or visiting

For all other questions, please contact Mike Giancola at or 919-539-6023. If you would like to provide support for the students displaced by the fire and other NC State students experiencing food or housing insecurity, consider donating to the Student Emergency Fund or to the Feed the Pack Food Pantry.