College is often described as an “experience,” and for good reason. There are so many important lessons to be learned, both in and out of the classroom. NC State provides the academic, cultural, and recreational opportunities that play a role in shaping students into the well-rounded and engaged individuals that they will remain, long after their time on campus is complete. Each year, we request proposals for Parents’ Fund funding from the units and programs that directly support the student life experience. Numerous programs benefit from the generosity of Parents’ Fund donors. Examples of the programs benefitting from the Parents’ Fund include:
- The University Scholars Forum is a series of weekly presentations which allow students to engage in active inquiry and critical consideration of discussion topics, ultimately empowering them to be informed citizens, ethical leaders, and active contributors to our society. This well-received series has seen a steady increase in enrollment over the years, and as a result of the Parents’ Fund, will continue to meet and exceed the needs of its participants.
- The Stop the Stigma Campaign, sponsored by the NC State Counseling Center, focuses on marketing efforts toraise awareness of mental health issues at NC State, and to help students benefit from treatments available on campus and in the larger community. With support from Parents’ Fund donors, a number of partnerships with campus organizations are planned to expand outreach efforts for students, faculty, and staff.
- Studying overseas can be a transformative life experience, whether the trip is for an intensive 3 week study in the summer, or for an entire semester or year. The Parents’ Fund provides travel scholarship opportunities for students who might otherwise not be able to afford the experience of a lifetime.
- The Alternative Service Break trip program is a unique service-learning experience in which students engage in direct service to a community, either in the United States or abroad, while being immersed in the culture and customs of that community. Teams are led by student team leaders and accompanied by faculty advisors. Throughout the trip, team members participate in a variety of cultural, educational, recreational and reflective activities to enhance their service experience. The Parents’ Fund provides support to make these experiences possible for our students.
- The University Tutorial Center has been providing writing and tutoring support for NC State students for more than thirty years. Students have access to free drop-in and appointment-based tutoring for math, chemistry, and physics classes, as well as one-on-one writing and speaking support. For courses which have historically proven to be difficult for students, Supplemental Instruction is available. During these sessions, students work in small, interactive groups facilitated by student leaders. In addition to being an excellent way to prepare for exams, participation in Supplemental Instruction helps students gain a conceptual understanding of their coursework. Donations to the Parents’ Fund will enable the University Tutorial Center to extend its reach on campus, offering these essential services to even more students.
These, and a host of other student-centered programs, receive essential support from donations to the Parents’ Fund. The experience is what students will remember most fondly when they reflect on their college years. Contributions to the Parents’ Fund impact every NC State student, helping them build memories to last a lifetime.