Fraternity and Sorority Life Presents 2019-2020 Greek Awards
Fraternity and Sorority Life recognized winning individuals and organizations throughout Red and White Week on social media.
By Caleb White, DASA Communications intern
In the past week, NC State’s Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life held its first-ever virtual Greek Awards Ceremony, a recognition of some of the university’s most outstanding chapters and the leaders within them. The winners are normally announced during halftime of the Homecoming football game, but due to COVID-19 they were announced virtually this year via Fraternity and Sorority Life’s social media accounts throughout Red and White Week.
Those recognized persevered through the circumstances of the past year, and stayed dedicated to their education and providing service for those around them.
The following awards were given:
These chapters achieved excellence in the Academic Achievement principle by electing a scholarship chair, establishing an academic advisor, and developing and implementing a chapter scholarship program. In addition, new members and chapter GPA performed above the same-sex average.
- Recipients: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Kappa Delta, Sigma Phi Epsilon
Alumni and Graduate Chapter Engagement
These chapters were asked to have a local alumni advisor and to either host an event for alumni, co-sponsor an event with their graduate chapter, or publish an annual newsletter.
- Recipients: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi Gamma Sorority, Inc., FarmHouse, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
Campus Leadership and Involvement
These chapters supported the university community by attending different campus events.
- Recipients: Alpha Omega Epsilon, Delta Sigma Iota Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Outstanding New Member
This member embodies in thought and deed the values of their organization and the NC State fraternity and sorority community. This newest member demonstrates a sound adherence and understanding to the pillars of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- Winner: Carter Avayou, Phi Kappa Tau
These chapters maintain good standing with their governing council, attend events for other chapters in the same council, and attend events with a chapter from the three remaining chapters other than their own.
- Recipients: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Phi Gamma National Sorority, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Education and Learning
These chapters engaged in at least three educational programs and hosted two programs in various educational topics. These chapters also had at least 85 percent of its members complete the Hazing prevention module.
- Recipients: Alpha Sigma Phi, Delta Zeta, Phi Kappa Tau, Zeta Tau Alpha
These chapters submitted a budget or proper documentation that’s approved by their advisor, as well as projected mid-year and end-of-the-year reports with written or graphical analysis.
- Winners: Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Phi Gamma, Sigma Phi Epsilon
The commitment by these recipients creates a positive and rewarding fraternal experience for individual members, chapters, and the Fraternity and Sorority community.
- Recipients: Lara Badanes, Kappa Delta; L’Tonya Stewart, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
These chapters held effective officer transitions, provided a list of semesters goals, and attended Greek Leaders Retreat. They also had qualifying members apply to become a part of Order of Omega.
- Recipients: Chi Psi, Kappa Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc., Pi Beta Phi, Sigma Kappa, Zeta Tau Alpha
These chapters complied with membership guidelines, maintained an updated roster, and hosted at least two brotherhood or sisterhood events per semester. They also stayed engaged throughout the virtual format.
- Recipients: Beta Theta Pi, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Kappa Phi
Outreach and Civic Engagement
These chapters’ membership averaged 12 hours of community service, hosted two community service events, hosted one philanthropic event, and supported efforts of other chapters.
- Recipients: Delta Gamma, Chi Omega, Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Responsibility, Health and Safety Award
This chapter submitted a copy of their International or National Risk Management Program, attended a risk management workshop, and complied with the Code of Student Conduct.
- Recipients: Kappa Alpha Theta
Senior Diamond Dedication
These are deserving seniors who exhibit the highest standards of purpose and performance in their chapter throughout their entire college experience. These recipients illustrate dedication to fraternal values and the importance of leaving a positive legacy for future members.
- Recipients: Gethan Condron, Chi Psi; Sarah Cottros, Zeta Tau Alpha; Dianna Pham, Alpha Phi Gamma National Sorority, Inc.; Kira Pierson, Delta Gamma
Multicultural Greek Chapter of the Year
The winning organization demonstrates the highest standards of purpose and performance in the standards of excellence program and exhibits a high level of participation in the council.
- Recipient: Alpha Phi Gamma National Sorority
Toni H. Thorpe Award
Recognizes the best overall NPHC organization at NC State University and is based on the chapter’s participation in NPHC operations, programs and initiatives, the pillars of fraternity and sorority life, brotherhood and sisterhood, scholarship, leadership and service, and the standards of excellence program.
- Recipient: Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
John T. Caldwell Chapters
This honor is awarded to the best overall IFC fraternity at NC State.
- Recipient: Pi Kappa Phi
Melinda B. Sopher Chapters
This honor recognizes the best overall Panhellenic sorority at NC State.
- Panhellenic Sororities: Pi Beta Phi, Chi Omega, Alpha Omega Epsilon, Kappa Delta, Zeta Tau Alpha
- Recipient: Zeta Tau Alpha
Chapter President of the Year
These are presidents whose leadership has contributed to the growth of the chapter and who excel as leaders while involved in the greater community. Recipients integrated the pillars of Fraternity and Sorority Life as leaders, scholars, mentors, and servants.
- Recipients: Andrew Breasure, Pi Kappa Phi; Emma Perez-Navarro, Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc.; Ellie Lorenz, Kappa Delta; Will Steiz, Phi Kappa Tau
Most Improved Chapter
This chapter made significant improvement to their participation in the Standards of Excellence Program and displayed a strong commitment to improve overall chapter performance and create a meaningful experience for their members.
- Recipient: Farmhouse
Fraternity Man and Sorority Woman of the Year
This is the most prestigious award offered by the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
The Fraternity Man of the Year has made a great impact on the Fraternity and Sorority Community. This individual leads, mentors, energizes and drives peers from his community through his actions. He is an excellent representative of what it means to be a fraternity man on NC State’s campus.
- Recipient: Kendall York, Phi Kappa Tau
The Sorority Woman of the Year is very active in Fraternity and Sorority Life, balancing chapter responsibilities, care for the overall Greek community and rigorous academics. Through these different outlets, she works to connect others on a greater scale to bridge the gap between FSL and the NC State community, all while demonstrating remarkable passion for her work.
- Recipient: Haliegh Swenfurth, Delta Gamma
Fraternity and Sorority of the Year
This award is given to the fraternity and sorority with the highest overall performance in the 2019-2020 Standards of Excellence Program.
- Recipient: Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc.