Five Ways To Get Involved In Sustainability On Campus
No matter your future career path, you can get involved in sustainability and contribute toward bettering the planet and our community. On campus, NC State Sustainability works to provide enriching experiences for students to explore the values and benefits of sustainability.
1. Sustainability Fund
The NC State Sustainability Fund offers competitive grants to NC State students, faculty and staff for sustainability-related campus facilities improvements, educational programs, research, and student internships that create high-impact experiences for the student body and help advance the goals of the university’s Sustainability Strategic Plan. Fast-track grant proposals will be accepted later this fall semester and full project grants are due in February. Check out the Fund webpage for more information. Students can also to serve on the Fund’s Advisory Board, which selects the projects that will receive funding.
2. NC State Stewards and other sustainability-related student organizations
The NC State Stewards are student leaders that encourage individuals to adopt more sustainable practices by hosting campus events and leading sustainable initiatives on campus. Follow them on Instagram and TikTok for sustainability tips, events, and more. See their website for the latest news and to learn more about the program. Applications are open to freshmen and transfer students during the fall semester and open to all students during the spring semester.
Explore other sustainable organizations on the Get Involved at NC State page using the “sustainability” filter.
Looking for a short-term opportunity to get involved? Sign up to help the Zero Waste Wolfpack team divert waste during a home football game or other NC State Athletics event.
3. Attend sustainability-related events
The University Sustainability Office works with a variety of partners to host events throughout the year for students and the campus community. Check out our calendar to stay up to date on events, volunteer opportunities, and more. A few events we’re excited about:
- Energy Week is coming September 27 – October 1 as a series of events to increase visibility of the university’s energy use, research and opportunity to shape a clean energy future.
- There’s a new two-year event series on the Sustainable Development Goals. Learn more
- Find a team and get innovative for NC State’s Make-A-Thon, coming in January 2022. This competition (yes, there are prizes) brings students together to create the best solution to a sustainability challenge of your choice.
- Every April, NC State’s Sustainability Council and the University Sustainability Office teams up with faculty, staff, and students to host Earth Month, a celebration featuring events that emphasize the planet, sustainability and how you can make the world a better place.
4. Sustainability Certifications
NC State Sustainability offers campus faculty, staff and students the opportunity to be recognized for sustainable efforts.The Sustainable Student Organization Certification provides students a new opportunity to promote their organizations’ sustainability commitment to sponsors, members and campus partners. Student organizations may also strive toward sustainability by participating in the Sustainable Event Certification. There’s also a Sustainable Workplace certification for campus departments.
5. Follow Us On Social Media and Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Follow NC State Sustainability social media to stay up to date with events, opportunities, and campus news. Share your content with us by tagging us at @NCStateSustain and using the hashtag #NCStateSustain. We actively post on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get all the information you need to know about events, opportunities, competitions, resources, and more.
The NC State Sustainability website has more information on campus sustainability, goals and resources for students. See the Take Action page to learn more about incorporating sustainability in your life and career.
Our goal is to engage students in initiatives that promote leadership and service in sustainability so graduates are well prepared for impactful careers and lives. See the Sustainability Strategic Plan to learn more about NC State Sustainability’s leadership and goals.
This post was originally published in Sustainability News.